This year, Michelin will offer two unique driving experiences on Thursday, October 17, at their very own test track in Laurens, SC.
Attendees must register in advance, limited spots are available.
Lead / Follow
Have you ever wanted to drive the same track that Michelin subjective drivers use to test and evaluate tires? This year you’ll have an opportunity to drive Laurens Proving Grounds test track behind one of Michelin’s test drivers. You’ll have multiple sessions behind the wheel of your own car driving the same track that has served as the testbed for some of Michelin’s most advanced and high performance tires.
The Right Tire Changes Everything
What happens when you put a sub par tire on a very capable car? You’ll find out for yourself when you experience the demonstration Michelin calls The Right Tire Changes Everything. You’ll have the opportunity to drive two vehicles, one riding on Michelin tires, the other on a budget brand. The course is Michelin’s wet handling track, a low grip asphalt circuit engineered to maintain a consistent water depth of 1.5mm. You’ll experience the impact that cutting edge rubber compounds have on the wet handling capability of a vehicle and you may even be surprised at the results.
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your assigned session time
Session 1 8:00 A.M. – 10:00 A.M.
Session 2 10:00 A.M. – 12 Noon
Session 3 1:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M.
Session 4 3:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.
Located in the BMWCCA Autocross/Car Control parking area
Upon arriving there will be 2 lines of 10 cars per line. A Michelin staff member will direct you to the appropriate line. Please stay with your vehicle, we’ll depart the staging area PROMPTLY at the noted session start time.
Lead / Follow Track Rules
Safety is our primary focus and top priority. We consider this event to be touring laps. Please keep in mind that these are NOT racing laps. We want to ensure everyone drives home with his / her car in good shape.
– All laps are in a lead / follow format. Michelin drivers will be driving the lead cars
– The group, NOT the instructors determine the pace of the laps
– You must maintain a 3 car length gap between all cars in the line while on track. If one car in the group follows too closely the Michelin driver will slow the group’s pace. If one car in the group falls or lags behind, the whole group will slow down.
– You MUST stay in a single file line. Drive the same “line” as the lead car
– NO PASSING AT ANY TIME
– We will use a one-time warning for this event. After one warning, any continuation of the behavior will result in being eliminated from further driving.
Michelin reserves the right to exclude any vehicle from participating in the Lead / Follow event. Exclusion may be due to fuel, oil or coolant leaks, unsuitable tires or any other mechanical issue identified by the Michelin event staff
– Check tire pressures prior to arriving at the track, air will not be available
– All loose items must be removed from your vehicle. Leave as much at the hotel as possible
– BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN